Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pink, Butterflies and Bees

I love pink, can't get enough of it and I can't seem to make anything these days without finding room for a butterfly on it!
I made these tags using the new Melissa Frances papers. The fence is wood that I painted, chalked and added some leaf trim and mini roses.
My sweet friend Amber had a tutorial for the ribbon roses on her blog and I have been wanting to make them ever since she posted it a few months ago and finally got around to making some. You can find the tutorial on her Feb. 24th post. I just love how it turned out and will definitely be making more! Thanks Amber!


I made this next card using papers and die cuts from Brenda Walton's Madeline collection, an Antique doily, lace and teal seam binding that I sprayed with 3 different colors of glimmer mist but you can't really tell.

And a set of cards I made using Melissa Frances papers, Martha Stewart stamps, glitter, eyelet lace, rick rack, buttons and cherry blossoms.



We have a beehive at the property and recently they swarmed. To get the bees from flying away, as soon as they start swarming around the hive, you have to beat two pieces of metal together to make a high pitched dinging noise. This will mess up the signal from the queen bee and the bees will park themselves on the nearest tree. Terry did this a few weeks ago and the bees ended up landing in the very tip of a tall pine tree and it was impossible for him to get the bees and they were gone by the next morning. Last week, there was another swarm and Terry was away working. I knew Terry was dissapointed after losing the previous swarm so I quickly grabbed the metal and started dinging away. The bees finally landed on a branch right above the greenhouse, just within reach with a ladder. I called Terry after the bees had settled in and he said he wouldn't be there for 3 hours so. If I quit dinging the bees would fly away so I got a chair and sat myself down and dinged away for 2 1/2 hours. I dinged and I dinged and kept my eye on a black snake that was about 15 feet away and was happy when when he slithered away. 2 1/2 hours later Terry showed up, yay! He got another beehive ready, a ladder, a bucket, cut the branches and the bees fell into the bucket and he quickly put a lid on it. He shook the bees into the beehive and it's been about a week and the bees are thriving. That's two hives we have now, we are planning to have a few more and eventually get our own honey, yum!

Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by!
Annette

9 comments:

Chris said...

Not only are you crafty (love your latest work!) you are a dedicated & good woman! How lucky for Terry ... good luck with your bees. My uncle used to keep bees and got a delicious honey!

Tammie said...

Love, love, love your cards and tags!!!! Butterflies are my favorite and I too have loved making Amber's ribbon roses. The "bee" story is awesome and Terry is a lucky, lucky man. I don't know of many women who would bang on tin for 2.5 hours to secure a hive for their honey ;) Happy bee keeping and card/tag making to you.

Anonymous said...

These are stunning Annette! So soft and dreamy, I just love them!

I am so glad your 2 1/2 hours of dinging paid off! I'll bet that will be the best honey you've ever tasted!

(-: Heidi

GiftsByHeidi said...

WOW! Dinging for over 2 hours!! You guys want that honey pretty badly! Plus to face that snake... you are so brave! That ribbon rose is just gorgeous, I'll have to check out her tutorial. Thanks for posting!

Amber said...

Oh Annette you are the sweetest! Your ribbon rose turned out beautiful, aren't they fun to make? Instant flower of any color and size : ) Your projects are beautiful! Love the seam binding and you are definitely a pink girl!!!
Wowzers, you dinged for 2 1/2 hours, lol....Terry is a very lucky man. We've had a bunch of swarms lately, guess it's that time of the year. Glad the black snake left you alone!! He must not like dinging!
Hugs
Amber

Jennifer Beason said...

All of your creations are just stunning!!! Have a great weekend!

Mary in IL said...

OK, if dinging for 2.5 hours isn't LOVE, what is ??? And since Terry went out and bought you that lace a while back all on his own you two definitely belong together! :-)
All of your projects are so fun! I really love the set of butterfly cards...wow! Thanks for updating us, hope progress on the house is going well too.

Audrey Pettit said...

oh,my goodness! I LOVE your bee story. How dedicated of you to ding and ding for 2 1/2 hours. You are amazing! So glad you got the bees after all that work. We've been trying to order some bees for a hive we have at work, and are having a heck of a time. So sad how much trouble the bees are in these days.
Love your scrappy projects, as usual! All your pink and butterflies are A-OK in my book. Love the lace and doilies and trim and the soft pretty paper. fun butterfly stamps, too.

Anonymous said...

Honest....everything you make is beautiful. I love everyone of them, so pink and delicate. Amber did do good on the roses. She posted a couple cards last night and said she had more to do tonight.