Sunday, October 5, 2008

I finally came to the conclusion....

that I needed a new sewing machine. I have a Phaff which I purchased almost 19 years ago and it has been acting up lately, not wanting to do a straight line so some of the sewing on my last projects was a little crooked. One thing I know is that I can sew a straight line and it didn't matter how tight or firm I guided the paper, it just kind of wanted to do it's own thing! So, my boyfriend and I went to Sears today and I got a new sewing machine! It is a computerized Kenmore and has 110 different stitches! It is still in the box on the floor of my craft room, learing at me, wondering when it will get taken out of it's little hiding spot and put to the challenge! I read all the reviews on it before I purchased it and it looks like it should be pretty easy to use (I'll post again in a few weeks and see if the reviews held up to their promises!). I think I will keep my old machine and take it in for a tune up, then when I have friends over, I'll have two machines for us to use! I stocked up on new bobbins as I like to keep a bobbin on hand of all the different colors of threads that I use.



I made this card yesterday afternoon on WCMD but couldn't get a good photo of it because of the lighting so I took it outside today when the morning sun was hitting the porch and got a great photo! Top half of the card is Flair Designs paper and the bottom half is My Mind's Eye paper. Die cut is Cavallini Holiday Cheer glittered gift tag (I can't wait to make more projects using these, I also have the Halloween postcards!) Glitter stars are My Mind's Eye, adhesive pearls are Kaiser.

I also got a wonderful book today from Books-a-million while we were waiting for Sears to open, it is "SEW Somerset, the art of creative sewing with mixed media". I have only glanced through it but it looks spectacular and has some wonderful ideas in it! I love to use different textures (felt, fabric) on my cards so I am really looking forward to spending a nice quiet morning with this new book!

Thanks for looking and have a wonderful week!
Annette

6 comments:

Becky Garrison said...

Your machine sounds like it's a newer version of mine, and I love it! I had an old $99 Brother from WalMart, and a few years ago I told hubby I wanted a new one for Christmas. One that did more than the one I had. He went to Sears and talked to someone there and on Christmas morning I opened up my new machine. Now, I rarely use it for making clothes and such, but it sure gets a workout when I'm making cards! I'm sure you'll love your machine, too! Have fun, Becky G.

Anonymous said...

This Christmas card is gorgeous! I love they way you mixed all the different elements.

1 Crafty Gal said...

OH my goodness! What an awesome blog!!! I could sit here and make comments all day long! Beautiful!

Suzanne :O ) said...

gorgeous card! I love the combo of the striped paper and the ribbons :D

Lillemille said...

Oh what wonderful things you have on your blog.
Good luck with your new sewing-machine.
Birthe Skoedt Denmark

Jennie Skaggs said...

I so wish I knew how to sew. I wish I lived closer to you. I hear you and Gayle had some fun yesterday.